CHANNEL SURFING

How channel surfing led me on a letter writing campaign...
It was near the end of October in 2017 that I was sitting in a rundown sleepout just north of Greymouth on New Zealand's West Coast when I was just channel surfing when I came across a TV program called "Killer Women" on Criminal Investigation; it was presented by Piers Morgan.
On this particular episode was one featuring a young lady aged 24 who as a 16 year old masterminded the slaughter of her own family. Her father survived to tell the tale but her mother and two brothers did not. The woman's name is Erin Caffey and she came across as someone who could be the girl next door. 
The story is an interesting one; you can watch it on youtube by typing in Erin Caffey in the search engine.
There are aspects of the case which I believe are not right and they are;
1. Erin was just 16 while her three co offenders were 18+ therefore shouldn't they take the balance of responsibility for this.
2. It was Erin's then boyfriend and his mate who carried out the killing; the questions needs to be who is responsible for any deaths arising from the use of a firearm?
3. Erin is not eligible for parole until 2038; I believe it is immoral to send minor's away for what is effectively a life sentence.
The day after I watched the program, I started my letter writing campaign for her.
I sent three letters on the first week; they were to Erin, President Trump, and to Victoria Osteen from Lakewood Church who are also in Texas, but 4 hours away as I later discovered in a google search. 
Every week, there was a letter or two sent to some politician, or someone who is considered a celebrity but response was poor; in fact non existence.
I did receive a letter from Erin herself; she comes across as a young lady with a bubbly personality that is is easy to see how men would easily fall for her.
At the end of  2018, President Trump passed a bill which would allow lifers to apply for clemancy providing they meet certain criteria; I only found out about this when a reporter for an online newspaper told me Cyntoia Brown, another young lady I had mentioned in my letters to politicians was being considered for clemency by the Tennessee governor. It was in November 2018 that five judges decided Cyntoia must serve the rest of her 51 year sentence. She like Erin had been sentenced as a minor. Cyntoia was granted Clemency in January 2019 and released in August.
I wrote to Erin, extremely excited after hearing of the bill which is called, "The Justice reform bill," and told her there would be no reason why she wouldn't be eligible for clemency and that she needs to discuss this with her Dad.
In February, I wrote to the Texas governor's wife asking if she would help Erin get clemency but as with all the letters sent to US politicians I received no reply, but that does not mean, the letters were not read. I guess it is "Watch this space."
Most of my campaigning has been through social media since then, and recently have concentrated on campaigning for Jennifer Mee who is in a Florida prison; Jennifer was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole after being involved in a fatal robbery, but was not directly involved in the death of the victim. There is an online petition you can sign by clicking on the link below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOCIAL STATUS & AMERICAN SENTENCING

JENNIFER'S CASE HAS A CASE FOR A PRESIDENTIAL PARDON

Just what is the meaning of intent?